Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Pouring out of Grace

I hear this phrase a lot.

"God poured more grace on me today" or "The Lord has poured out more grace on me today" or something along those lines, and a couple thoughts hit me, so bear with me as I try my best to put my thoughts down to be understood...

My first thought was, is this phrase even in the bible? And this is what I found... Not really. The closest phrase I found was in the New Testament. 1 Timothy 1:14 to be exact, and only in the NIV as far as I can tell, and it says this, "The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. "

So, I went to the Greek and a literal transliteration of this passage would read, "Increased beyond but the favor of the Master of us with trust and love the in Christ Jesus," or in other words, as the NASB puts its, "and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus."

Now, it doesn't look like the word "poured" was even really in the original Greek, but even if it had been, notice it says, "was poured" not "is being poured," as well as, "was poured out on me abundantly." In other words, you received more than you deserved.

Which leads to my second thought. When someone says, "The Lords poured out more grace on me today," to me it implies that somehow you ran out from what he had given you previously. It was like the Lord gave you a supply of grace, you sucked it dry, and the Lord slapped himself upside the head saying, "Wow. I never saw that coming. Better give them some more." Uh, I don't think so. The bible says that the Lords grace is sufficient! (2 Corinthians 12) That means, it is more than enough, it is ALL you need! You can't run out! In Psalms 45:2 it states when grace has touched your lips, you are blessed FOREVER! Not just for a day or so, but FOREVER!

The Lords grace is MORE than abundant!

So, all that to just say this, is the Lord pouring more grace out on you today? or are you just taking hold of, accepting more and more, the abundant grace that you have been given in Christ Jesus?

Hmm? What do you think?

No comments: